Abstract Closing Date - 15th September 2019
The Human Genome Variation Society invites abstracts to the meeting within the theme of "Genotypes and Intermediate Phenotypes".
Please note - this year the ASHG invited sessions start early, so we have had to shorten our meeting program substantially; this means we do not have time for oral presentations from abstracts. Two to three SELECTED abstracts within the theme will be given the opportunity to present in a rapid-fire presentation. These abstracts may also present a poster during the coffee break.
All other abstracts can be accepted as poster presentations only.
General variation themes e.g. methods, applications, databases etc. will also be considered however they can only be accepted for poster presentation as there is not enough space in the program. Abstracts within the theme of "Genotypes and Intermediate Phenotypes" will be given preference for the Rapid Fire presentations.
Please follow the instructions for preparation below.
- Manuscripts should be submitted in Word docx, or doc
- Maximum of 520 words
- Use a simple font (e.g., 10-point Arial) for text
- Headings should be bold and 14 point and small case letters
- Authors in Italics. Please underline the presenting author.
- Please give full addresses of all authors (without titles i.e. Dr etc) after the heading and put in italics.
- Please indicate the name of the corresponding author by an asterisk*.
- The Email of the corresponding author should be included below the addresses.
- Use italics for emphasis
- Do not use field functions
- Please turn OFF your track changes
- DO NOT JUSTIFY the text
- Use tab stops or other commands for indents, not the space bar.
- Include a space when starting a new paragraph
- Save your file in docx format (Word 2007 or higher) or doc format (older Word versions).
- Please use no more than three levels of displayed headings.
- Abbreviations should be defined at first mention and used consistently thereafter.
- Acknowledgments of people, grants, funds, etc. should be placed in a separate section before the reference list. The names of funding organizations should be written in full.
- Please always use internationally accepted signs and symbols for units, SI units.
- URLs of all databases referenced should be included.
- Do not include diagrams and tables, we cannot print them
- Nomenclature for mutations must follow HGVS guidelines http://www.hgvs.org/mutnomen/
- Nomenclature for genes must follow HGNC guidelines http://www.genenames.org/
Instructions for Authors
1. Authors of research papers who wish to have their abstracts considered for inclusion in the scientific programs must submit their abstract via EMAIL to info (at) meeting-makers.com having regard to the closing dates in the Call for Abstracts and on the Abstract submission site. Abstracts submitted after the closing date will not be considered.
2. The detailed formatting instructions below must be followed for the abstract to appear in the program book.
3. The title should be brief and explicit.
4. Including title, authors (full given first name and family name) and institution, the abstract must not exceed 520 words. Any references or acknowledgments must also be included in this allowance.
5. The acceptance, timing, presentation and discussion of all papers and posters is at the discretion of the Scientific Program Committee. Notification of the timing of presentations will appear in correspondence sent to all successful authors.
6. Tables, diagrams, graphs, etc. CANNOT be accepted in the abstract submission. This is due to problems with publication of them. You may include these in your presentation.
7. Please format & submit your abstract according to the below instructions.
8. AUTHORS MUST BE FULLY REGISTERED FOR THE MEETING BY 30th SEPTEMBER 2019 FOR THEIR ABSTRACT TO APPEAR IN THE PUBLICATIONS. We DO NOT publish abstracts from anyone not fully registered or attending the meeting.
3 steps to sucessful abstract submission:
- Save your file with your surname followed by your first name initial, e.g. Layra Palkar's abstract would be saved as palkarL. Please DO NOT name your abstract "hgvs abstract", "abstract" , "houston abstract" etc.
- EMAIL your abstract as a word file to Rania - info (at) meeting-makers.com. Make sure to include a small cover letter such as "I wish to submit this abstract for the HGVS Houston meeting". Rania receives abstracts for many meetings so it is important you say which one. Emails received with no cover letter will be treated as viruses and not be opened.
- Expect a reply that the abstract was received within 3 days (usually by the next day). If you do not receive a reply, please send it again. Please do not expect an immediate response, as a human being will answer not a computer auto mail.